THE BENEFITS OF A SOLID ART EDUCATION
• The arts enhance students creativity and increase creative thinking and problem solving.
•The arts are an intergral part of human development in dimensions such as use of both hemispheres of the brain; development of cognitive, affective and psychomotor and learning styles.
• The arts increase communications skills vitally needed in today’s complex society with its emphasis on technology and mass communication.
• The Arts enhance basic literacy skills; cultural literacy and literacy of non-verbal stimuli.
• The arts enable students to acquire aesthetic judgement.
• Arts develop self-esteem and help students gain a more positive self-concept.
• The arts provide students better cross-cultural understanding through knowledge of civilizations and cultures past and present.
• The arts improve the school atmosphere and can aid in improving student attendance and decreasing dropout rates.
• The Arts provide numerous career opportunities both in the commercial/entertainment industry and in the not-for-profit sector.
• The Arts improve student performance in othe subject areas.
Source: “Art for Everykid” handbook